Re-Draft 2010-STL take DTGerald McCoy - BEST PLAYER in DRAFT

От всичко по много

Re-Draft 2010-STL take DTGerald McCoy - BEST PLAYER in DRAFT

Мнениеот Go_Bucs » Нед Май 17, 2015 3:04 pm

1. St. Louis Rams: Gerald McCoy, DT, Oklahoma
Actual 2010 NFL Draft Pick: Sam Bradford, QB

I wrote an article for USA Today back in 2010 about how the Rams were going to eschew Ndamukong Suh in favor of a franchise quarterback because they needed one so desperately after Marc Bulger's carcass failed to perform well the previous year. I thought going with Jimmy Clausen over Sam Bradford was the right choice, given Clausen's tutelage under Charlie Weis. Little did I know that Weis would prove to be a completely clueless head coach in numerous locations. He taught Clausen nothing, though it's not like Bradford has enjoyed any success. Tim Tebow has actually accomplished more than the other two first-round signal-callers in this class.
The debate is over now; the Rams should have selected a defensive tackle. But not Suh - he's unbelievably talented, but he's too inconsistent and has been a suspension-prone hot head. Gerald McCoy is very close in terms of talent, and he's also much more reliable than Suh. I'd rather have McCoy on my team than Suh, and the Rams should feel the same way.

2. Detroit Lions: Antonio Brown, WR, Central Michigan
Actual 2010 NFL Draft Pick: Ndamukong Suh, DT

Ndamukong Suh helped take the Lions to a couple of playoff games, but if he wasn't more trouble than he was worth, the franchise would've found some way to keep him. Thus, I can't re-mock Suh to the Lions. Antonio Brown is the better option, anyway. He and Calvin Johnson are arguably the top two receivers in football. No one can cover either of them, so imagine them both on the field at the same time. Opposing defensive coordinators wouldn't be able to sleep in anticipation of trying to contain them.

3. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska
Actual 2010 NFL Draft Pick: Gerald McCoy, DT

The Buccaneers had some shady individuals on their team back in 2010, including Josh Freeman, Aqib Talib, Tanard Jackson, Jerramy Stevens and Mike Williams. Thus, they would've welcomed Ndamukong Suh with open arms. The defensive tackle position was obviously a big need because the front office drafted Gerald McCoy, so Suh makes sense for multiple reasons.

4. Washington Redskins: Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma
Actual 2010 NFL Draft Pick: Trent Williams, OT

Trent Williams or Russell Okung? I thought the Redskins should have selected the latter, and I still do. However, the fact remains that Williams has been a terrific blind-side protector for them since 2010, so I think they would absolutely draft him again, if given the chance.

5. Kansas City Chiefs: Dez Bryant, WR, Oklahoma State
Actual 2010 NFL Draft Pick: Eric Berry, S

Dwayne Bowe wasn't useless back in 2010, so he was a strong, albeit slightly overrated receiver for the Chiefs. The team had absolutely nothing across from Bowe, as an aging Chris Chambers was slated to be the No. 2 wideout. That wouldn't have been the case had Scott Pioli drafted Dez Bryant. With Bryant on the team, I have to believe that Alex Smith would've thrown a touchdown to a receiver in 2014.

6. Seattle Seahawks: Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma State
Actual 2010 NFL Draft Pick: Russell Okung, OT

This mirrors Washington's pick. The Seahawks were lucky to have Russell Okung fall to them at No. 6 overall, and I'm sure they would keep this selection the same so that Okung could continue to protect Russell Wilson's blind side.

7. Cleveland Browns: Rob Gronkowski, TE, Arizona
Actual 2010 NFL Draft Pick: Joe Haden, CB

I considered re-mocking Joe Haden to the Browns, but as good as Haden is, I think the team would prefer Rob Gronkowski. Take a look at the Browns' top "weapons" on the roster heading into the 2010 NFL Draft: Mohamed Massaquoi, Brian Robiskie, Chansi Stuckey, Joshua Cribbs, Ben Watson, Robert Royal. Blegh! To be clear, "Blegh" is not a real person; if he were, he would be better than Massaquoi, Robiskie, Stuckey, Cribbs, Watson and Royal.

8. Oakland Raiders: Earl Thomas, FS, Texas
Actual 2010 NFL Draft Pick: Rolando McClain, ILB

Everyone laughed at Al Davis when he reached on safety Michael Mitchell in the second round. It didn't turn out to be a terrible pick, but Davis could have landed the Ohio safety a couple of rounds later. That, or he could have just chosen Earl Thomas over Rolando McClain in the first frame.

9. Buffalo Bills: Jimmy Graham, TE, Miami
Actual 2010 NFL Draft Pick: C.J. Spiller, RB

The Bills screwed up by drafting C.J. Spiller, but they can make amends by picking up another offensive weapon. Jimmy Graham would have been a huge upgrade over the crap Buffalo had at tight end entering the 2010 NFL Draft.

10. Jacksonville Jaguars: Jason Pierre-Paul, DE, South Florida
Actual 2010 NFL Draft Pick: Tyson Alulau, DT

Tyson Alualu...? Wow. Gene Smith was an abomination. I mocked Derrick Morgan to the Jaguars, who would have been much better. How about an even more talented defensive end? Peyton Manning wouldn't have been very happy to go up against Jason Pierre-Paul twice per season.

11. Denver Broncos: Demaryius Thomas, WR, Georgia Tech
Actual 2010 NFL Draft Pick: Demaryius Thomas, WR

The Broncos traded back and picked up Demaryius Thomas at No. 22 overall, but they'd have to stay at the 11th pick to secure him. Thomas was seen as a reach at the time the pick happened, but he has developed into one of the better receivers in the NFL.

12. Miami Dolphins: Devin McCourty, S/CB, Rutgers
Actual 2010 NFL Draft Pick: Jared Odrick, DE/DT

The Dolphins had a solid secondary five years ago with Vontae Davis, Sean Smith and Yeremiah Bell as starters. They had a hole at the other safety position, however, and I'm sure Miami would love to land Devin McCourty. He would've been a big upgrade, and obtaining him would have kept him away from arch-rival New England.

13. San Francisco 49ers: Joe Haden, CB, Florida
Actual 2010 NFL Draft Pick: Anthony Davis, OT

I mocked Joe Haden to the 49ers, so why not re-mock him there? He's the best-available player and fills a big need for them. There's nothing wrong with the Anthony Davis selection, but Haden is a much better player.

14. Seattle Seahawks: Geno Atkins, DT, Georgia
Actual 2010 NFL Draft Pick: Earl Thomas, S

I wouldn't say defensive tackle was a need for the Seahawks, given that they had Brandon Mebane starting there, but Geno Atkins is the top prospect available. With Atkins in the rotation, Seattle would be able to generate tons of interior pressure.

15. New York Giants: Greg Hardy, DE, Ole Miss
Actual 2010 NFL Draft Pick: Jason Pierre-Paul, DE

The Giants used this pick on Jason Pierre-Paul, so they were in the market for a defensive end. I'm slotting Greg Hardy here, even with the domestic-violence issue in mind. Pierre-Paul was a big part of New York's 2011 Super Bowl run, so having Hardy as a pass-rushing threat would help New York secure the Lombardi Trophy. They'd have to get rid of him eventually, but having him for four great years would be worth it.

16. Tennessee Titans: Derrick Morgan, DE, Georgia Tech
Actual 2010 NFL Draft Pick: Derrick Morgan, DE

The Titans spent this pick on Derrick Morgan. He got off to a slow start in his career, but eventually became a good enough player to warrant a big contract during the 2015 offseason. Tennessee would be fine with re-drafting Morgan.

17. San Francisco 49ers: NaVorro Bowman, LB, Penn State
Actual 2010 NFL Draft Pick: Mike Iupati, G

Both Anthony Davis and Mike Iupati, the 49ers' two first-round selections, make sense here. However, NaVorro Bowman is the most logical choice, even though San Francisco took him in the third round. Bowman is just a better player than both 49er blockers.

18. Pittsburgh Steelers: Maurkice Pouncey, C/G, Florida
Actual 2010 NFL Draft Pick: Maurkice Pouncey, C

Here's another pick that will remain the same. Sorry for being so boring, but Maurkice Pouncey has worked out well for the Steelers as their starting center, so it would make sense that they would re-draft him.

19. Atlanta Falcons: Everson Griffen, DE, USC
Actual 2010 NFL Draft Pick: Sean Weatherspoon, LB

The Falcons have failed to generate consistent quarterback pressure for years. Perhaps using this pick on someone like Everson Griffen would have solved that issue. It was evident by now that Jamaal Anderson was a mega bust, so Thomas Dimitroff should have focused on upgrading him.

20. Houston Texans: Emmanuel Sanders, WR, SMU
Actual 2010 NFL Draft Pick: Kareem Jackson, CB

Gary Kubiak had this strange obsession about keeping Kevin Walter as his No. 2 receiver, no matter what. In fact, I'm shocked the Broncos didn't sign Walter this offseason. It's amazing that Kubiak didn't recognize that his team needed an upgrade across from Andre Johnson this entire time.

21. Cincinnati Bengals: Carlos Dunlap, DE, Florida
Actual 2010 NFL Draft Pick: Jermaine Gresham, TE

The Bengals ended up drafting Carlos Dunlap in the second round, but they'd need to grab him here because there's no way he'd last beyond the first frame. Cincinnati's defensive line struggled this past season, but Dunlap was the one forceful constant.

22. New England Patriots: Jared Veldheer, OT, Hillsdale
Actual 2010 NFL Draft Pick: Devin McCourty, CB

The Patriots eventually obtained Nate Solder, but they could have grabbed their successor for Matt Light at this juncture. I actually wanted to slot Jared Veldheer a bit earlier than this, but the few teams ahead of New England didn't need a left tackle.

23. Green Bay Packers: Bryan Bulaga, OT, Iowa
Actual 2010 NFL Draft Pick: Bryan Bulaga, OT

I recall Aaron Rodgers praising this selection on Twitter when it happened. Drafting Bryan Bulaga was one of many successful moves Ted Thompson has made, and I would be surprised if he didn't desire to repeat this action.

24. Philadelphia Eagles: Brandon Graham, DE, Michigan
Actual 2010 NFL Draft Pick: Brandon Graham, DE

The Eagles traded up in the 2010 NFL Draft. Adam Schefter reported on live television that they had their eye on Earl Thomas, but it ended up being Brandon Graham. Many Philadelphia fans I know are still upset about this decision, but what if Graham never tore his ACL early in his career? Regardless, Graham is a solid option without moving up in this re-draft.

25. Baltimore Ravens: Jared Odrick, DE/DT, Penn State
Actual 2010 NFL Draft Pick: None (traded to Broncos, who took Tim Tebow, QB)

I mocked Jared Odrick to the Ravens five years ago, and here was my reasoning: Dwan Edwards is gone, while Justin Bannan signed with the Broncos. Suddenly, Baltimore's defensive line is a little thin. Odrick is one of the top players available and would be a great fit in the Ravens' defense. Of course, the Ravens dealt this selection to the Broncos, who picked Tebow. Oddly enough, Tebow has had more NFL success than Sam Bradford, who went No. 1 overall, yet Tebow is barely hanging on to an NFL job. Some things just don't make sense.

26. Arizona Cardinals: Jerry Hughes, DE/OLB, TCU
Actual 2010 NFL Draft Pick: Dan Williams, NT

Based on the way Jerry Hughes has played the past few years, he should be slotted much higher than this. However, the early part of his career can't be ignored, as he looked like a sure-fire bust. Still, the Cardinals could use him; they've had issues at outside linebacker for several years.

27. Dallas Cowboys: Mike Iupati, G, Idaho
Actual 2010 NFL Draft Pick: Dez Bryant, WR

I mocked Mike Iupati to the Cowboys, so this pick makes sense. The Cowboys would end up using a first-round choice on a guard four years later, but they could've used an upgrade to the interior of their front line much earlier.

28. San Diego Chargers: Reshad Jones, S, Georgia
Actual 2010 NFL Draft Pick: Ryan Mathews, RB

The Chargers foolishly moved up 17 spots to obtain Ryan Mathews back in 2010. That was a horrible decision. Even taking Mathews at No. 28 overall would have been bad. Here's a better option; some safety help was needed next to Eric Weddle, as San Diego was stuck with Steven Gregory at the time.

29. New York Jets: Linval Joseph, DE/DT, East Carolina
Actual 2010 NFL Draft Pick: Kyle Wilson, CB

The 2010 NFL Draft was before Muhammad Wilkerson and Sheldon Richardson were on the Jets' roster; the former was obtained a year later. With that in mind, New York could have added some help on the defensive line beforehand.

30. Minnesota Vikings: Morgan Burnett, FS, Georgia Tech
Actual 2010 NFL Draft Pick: Chris Cook, CB

I doubt the Vikings would mind stealing a talented defender from their arch rival. The Vikings' safety group back in 2010 was a mess, as the unit was comprised of non-talents like Madieu Williams and Tyrell Johnson.

31. Indianapolis Colts: Lamarr Houston, DT, Texas
Actual 2010 NFL Draft Pick: Jerry Hughes, DE/OLB

Lamarr Houston could have gone a few spots earlier than this. He makes a ton of sense for the Colts, however. Bill Polian used a second-round choice on Fili Moala, but the team otherwise had non-talents like Antonio Johnson and Daniel Muir starting at defensive tackle.

32. New Orleans Saints: Dan Williams, NT, Tennessee
Actual 2010 NFL Draft Pick: Patrick Robinson, CB

I considered defensive tackle to be a position the Saints could address back in 2010, as they needed help next to Sedrick Ellis.
Here are some of the top players who barely made the cut in this re-draft: T.J. Ward, Eric Decker, Jon Asamoah, Kareem Jackson, Rodger Saffold, Willie Young, Golden Tate and Anthony Davis.
With The First Pick in The 2015 NFL Draft Tampa Bay BUCCANEERS Selact Jameis Winston, QB, Florida State -"Winners take chances. Losers wait for chances."-Bucs GM Jason Licht on drafting Winston
Аватар
Go_Bucs

Назад към Общи